Monday, September 06, 2004

Corvettes and Earthquakes

Hello to all and I hope you are doing well. Please eat something off the barbeque grill and drink a cold one for me since it is Labor Day Weekend. I celebrated Labor Day by working the weekend and of course today. Let me know how your Labor Day went.

Not too much happened this week except I got tired of walking everywhere so I bought a Chevrolet Corvette! Finally, some decent transportation. Actually, it is a bicycle. If you have visited, you may remember that Japanese people like American things. They sell bicycles here, licensed from General Motors, with the Corvette emblem. Mine is a "Z" and it says 406 HP on it. Actually it is a 21 speed Mountain Bike and pretty cool even if it isn't a car.

The other recent thing is that there was an earthquake last night. It registered Magnitude 7.1 near the south coast of Honshu, Japan. Seven people were injured in Kyoto. It was 3 Magnitude in Tokyo and you could feel it. I was in the apartment and really couldn't tell it because my building is dampened with giant shock absorbers. You can see them by the recycling bin in the center of the building - be sure to get me to show them to you next time you visit. Anyway, I could "hear" the building move and squeak even though I couldn't really feel it because of the dampening.

Here is an interesting website on earthquakes: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/ It shows the recent earthquakes that have occurred and their relative strength.

Japan is designed for earthquakes - probably better than California even. So stay away from the hurricanes in Florida, tornados in the Plains, and earthquakes in California. I'll watch out for the typhoons and earthquakes here.

No comments: