Sunday, August 15, 2004

Shantytown in Kawasaki



During my walk today I passed this shantytown in the flood plain of the Kawasaki River. You can see the river in the background. Pretty nice housing for the homeless. In general the homeless seem to take care of themselves here and look presentable. I see some exercising and getting dressed in suits. Most seem to sleep on benches or have small tents. These shacks look fairly permanent and some have small gardens.

I was surprised to see homeless here although I'm not sure why. You certainly see them in Houston, New York City, London, and Paris. Apparently there is very little crime associated with the homeless here and I've never been bothered by anyone as I walked about. It is just part of the fabric of life these days I guess.

No comments: