Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Cicadas and Nurses


Two things hit me as I was walking home this evening. I have noticed both before, but I was still thinking about them when I walked into the apartment...



Cicadas: They are deafening. You hear them all around trees in the parks and outside the building at Chiyoda. I don't ever remember hearing them as loud as they are here. There is concrete everywhere but they find the trees.



Nurses: They still wear white uniforms and hats just like the '50s at the hospital across the street from my apartment. It is a teaching hospital and it may not be the same everywhere in Japan. But they all look much more professional and proper than in the United States. This is probably a good place to get sick if you have to do it.

I may not have written about the time I got sick here. It was just the sinus infection I usually get after my allergies in the spring. Demo, ima genki desu. I went to a doctor with my secretary. He charged me 3000 yen ($25) if I remember right and that included the prescription for antibiotics and cough medicine. My secretary said that was a bit more than if I had gone to the clinic, but I didn't have to wait - I walked straight in. All without health insurance. He had just bought a 1957 Chevrolet Belair convertible and showed me a picture of it.

Oyasumi nisai...

1 comment:

Swan Maiden said...

The problems with the healthcare industry in the Unites States are magnified by the fact other nations blow us out of the water. When I was sick with the flu earlier this spring... the three prescriptions I was given was over $120. Not counting the cost of the doctor's visit. And all of this... under my healthcare insurance. However, it was the line you wrote about nurse uniforms, being professional and proper that caught my attention... Same doctor's visit that I mentioned, the (female) doctor was wearing strappy sandals. How professional (not to mention hygienic) is that?