Monday, September 07, 2009

Things that strike me about the Alberta Landscape...

On a clear day, the Rocky Mountains are visible from many places on the Alberta prarie. But if you aren't looking West, it is wide open with grain as far as you can see in many places. There has to be a place to put that grain, and if you can see something on the horizon, there is a fair chance it is a grain elevator.

The picture at left is from the town of Nanton - still a thriving community. All along the old railroads they built grain elevators. And small towns, some of which are no more. And in between there are interesting old barns and farm houses, many neglected. I've posted some new pictures in the slide show or you can see them by clicking here.

Hey wait a minute! How did the starship Enterprise get in there? That is because the town of Vulcan has tried to build a little tourism off of it's name. The visitor's center has a sign with the following message out front:

WELCOME TO VULCAN
Information Trek Center

Live Long and Prosper

Internet Service Available Inside


One of the things I always try to do when I am in a new place is to give my blog a hit so it will show up on my map. And there I was in Vulcan and I didn't even go in the visitor's center and give my blog a hit. Guess I'll have to go back....

No comments: