Saturday, February 21, 2009

Caution: Bassist at Work

David's bass is repaired and he has it back. It was damaged during the concert we saw on New Year's Eve. The neck was completely replaced and I personally think it is a better piece of wood. The old scroll was grafted on to the new neck.

This got me to thinking. Most people don't know how to repair things anymore, and a lot of things made today aren't really repairable. A hundred years ago, almost everyone was a repairman or woman. You repaired your house, farm machinery, your clothes, everything. People made things for themselves too.

By the time I came along, people still repaired and maintained a lot of stuff. We worked on the car, did plumbing, sharpened tools, and generally fixed things that needed fixing. Of course not everyone did that. I knew kids that didn't work on their car - rich kids mostly.

Today, hardly anyone does repair. They call the repairman. Don't ask my kids to replace the muffler on a car. Anyway, it was a good repair on David's bass I think (even though I didn't do it)...

No comments: