Saturday, July 07, 2007

Butterfly and Lantana

OK - I am back to taking some nature photographs again. This butterfly was checking out a lantana in bloom on Mt. Gravatt. Lt. George Gravatt was commandant of the penal colony here in 1839. Today there is a radio tower up on the summit and you have a view back towards Brisbane. There is also a nature park where I photographed this butterfly and the lorakeet below.

For those interested, the butterfly was about a meter away when I took the picture. Click on the picture so you can see it larger (but much lower resolution than the actual picture since I have reduced the size for faster internet transfer). I really like the texture in the leaves and note the way the veins in the butterfly wings match the color of the flower beneath. I took some other pictures of this same scene and each one shows a little different detail of the insect with it wings up or down, above or below the body. Neat...

No comments: