Saturday, May 13, 2006

How did I get from Tokyo to Here?


This is my villa in Doha in the late evening. Parked in front is my Volkswagon 4wd SUV. Pretty cool (except that it is 40 deg C and about to climb to 50 every day). It is 4 bedrooms, 4 and a half baths, a living room, kitchen, dining room, and utility room. I don't need the space - it is way too much.

I will probably move out to the camp - I have reserved a one bedroom with office out there. They also have a swimming pool, gym, tennis courts, and Japanese food. I will probably keep this place or a place in Doha though. I have to be there one day a week and there are always the weekends. Maybe even visitors!

Last week I went and spent the day with the laborers. Their life is much different than mine. At lunch we were given a metal tray and food was dished upon it. No fork or spoon - you eat with your hands and using the bread in the traditional style. The food wasn't bad though and there were more than enough calories for me - I didn't eat it all. It seemed pretty healthy too. I ate on the Indian side and it seemed pretty spicy to me but the workers didn't think it had enough curry. Each worker had to carry his own cup or bottle in for water.

The accomodation for laborers is pretty sparse compared to what I've gotten used to. It can be a hard life for some. Be grateful for an education and the opportunity for more.

No comments: