Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sakura Starting to Bloom

The cherry trees are starting to bloom. This tree is just down the street from my apartment at the bridge that crosses the intersection to the school. It is the first cherry I remember seeing bloom when I first got to Japan. I can't miss it. When I cross the bridge it is just overhead.

Anyway, they look like they are going to bloom in the Tokyo area a little early. This one will probably be in full bloom by mid-week. We planned our office Hanami (Flower Viewing Party) for April 7th and chances are they will pretty much be gone by then. Accordingly, we have adjusted the plan to just having a walk in the park sans sakura no hana and then having a party.

Meanwhile, with my usual penchant for poor timing, I am going to Doha the week of the party and will fly back in on the 6th. So I will probably miss the main bloom this year but at least I'll be at the party.

In Japan, the cherry blossom represents the fragility and shortness of life as well as the beauty. Sometimes you miss out on a few things in life, so, missing the cherry blossom peak is just one of those things. You just have to capitalize on things when you get the chance...

No comments: