Saturday, March 25, 2006

King Eagles Pachinko & Slot Parlor

I was out the other day without my camera and took this picture with my cell phone. It is a Pachinko Parlor and the young men lined up outside are waiting to get in early in the morning. When the door opens, they rush inside to get the "best" machine. According to reliable sources, there are professional pachinko players.

Now, I have never played pachinko. But I have seen it and for the life of me cannot figure how you can make a living playing pachinko. It doesn't even require skill - it is pure luck. But I am assured that somehow you can put the odds in your favor. I think it is something about if the machine sits there long enough without paying, it will eventuall pay off big.

When you win, you get little prizes (because it is illegal to get money). Then you take the prizes around back and trade them for money. Hmmm... The only people making money off pachinko are the owners of the parlor I think. I didn't see any of the young men dressed that nicely or driving expensive cars in the line outside. We can also throw our money at the lottery. Haven't I written about Pachinko before? I know I have written about cherry blossoms. I feel like Yogi Berra: "It's deja vu all over again".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at being a professional Pachinko player. I have no problem with wearing cheap clothes from Wal-Mart or driving a second or third hand Toyota. Do they give away free drinks like they do in Vegas? How about steak and eggs for $1.99?
-StuMonkey

Random Traveller said...

StuMonkey:

I am pretty sure these guys walked over from the train station and don't own a car but flashy clothes, wheels, and free drinks aren't everything. There is a nice Izakaya next door but there is no way you can get steiki to tomago for $1.99. Let me try to list the advantages of a pro Pachinko player as I see it: 1) admiration of other young men doing similar work, 2) pretty girl in a short skirt welcoming you at the door, 3) higher education not required, 4) the raw excitement of winning that big pot and taking your friends to the Izakaya next door for a free drink.

Anonymous said...

Those are fine advantages indeed, but I think what I am most impressed with is their work ethic. The "professional gamblers" that I have met would not have dreamed of waking up before noon, much less being first in line to get in at the crack of dawn. Most of the similar establishments that I have visited don't get loud and smoky until at least midnight or later.
-StuMonkey