Sunday, February 05, 2006

Stuff

Stuff: I really don't have much stuff here but I bought some more today. I have been looking around for a sake serving set and finally bought this one. I have been looking for a tea set for two years and still haven't bought that but I think I'm getting close now. I like this sake set. It is kind of monchromatic and has nasu (eggplant) on it. A very modern design. It is sitting on my empty kitchen counter.

Anyway, like I said, I don't have that much stuff. You really don't need it do you? I haven't lived with this little stuff since college.

My apartment is furnished so I don't really need a lot. Kathye said it looked like I was "camping out" but I'm camping out in pretty good luxury. Here is a list of what I actually own by room. I am excluding consumable stuff like food and things that aren't meant to last like toothbrushes as well as the furniture and appliances that were provided.

The entry way has 2 pairs of running shoes, 2 pairs of dress shoes, my backpack with camera and electronic dictionary, my coats and umbrella. I also have my lucky maneki neko temple cat there. In the bathroom there is an electric shaver and a little clock.

In the bedroom I have some pictures. In the closet are my clothes hanging on about 5' of hanger space and 6 drawers with all my clothes. I have 2 suitcases.

In the hall is my incense burner that I never use on a tiny little table. In the spare bedroom I have a computer and printer. In the living room I have a TV, stereo, MASSAGE CHAIR, my books on Japan, a few pictures, a nice Chinese tea pot I bought in Kuala Lumpur years ago, and a vase made by my Grandmother.

In the kitchen I have a coffee grinder, expresso machine, some coffee cups, and my new sake set. Oh yeah, almost forgot, some Yebisu beer glasses and two bowls from the Sumo match.

Come to think of it, that is a lot of stuff. Maybe I should get rid of some of it.
V = 6537

4 comments:

Random Traveller said...

Normally you wouldn't comment on your own blog, but I am abnormal. Last month marked two full years of sending these notes out. And I think I am over 200 postings now. Mom asked that I at least send out a note that I was alive every week or so when I came over. I am averaging almost two a week so I am doing OK in that regard anyway. Dave - take note and heed your mother's requests on calling home.

Anonymous said...

You are not only doing okay - you have been great to keep in touch. Your inventory of stuff will come in handy -- Pauline and I found "camping out" with you was a good life.
Mom

Teresa said...

This blog was very interesting, considering Megan and I call this your minimalist phase! However, you did take two suitcases and a backpack on this last flight.....

Random Traveller said...

Megan: I can't remember. Did I tell you I have a new TV? The old one belonged to the apartment. The new one is a 32" wide screen high resolution LCD that works on any voltage and world-wide encoding. It can also work as a computer monitor. Since I didn't own a TV, I thought maybe I should get one before going to Doha. I watched it once to make sure it works but otherwise it is unused.

BTW, this brings up the question of what I would get rid of first among my possessions if I was downsizing. The top three things in order would be 1) massage chair (too big), 2) TV (not used), 3) some of the clothes (some not being used). You can have the TV if I decide to get rid of it :-)