Sunday, February 12, 2006

How to drink Sake

Sake is really a word for alcoholic drinks. If you want to be polite, say osake. The Japanese word for the drink made out of rice is nihonshu. If you are good at holding your drink you are "sake ga tsuyoi" - strong at sake. If you are an easy drunk it is "sake ga yowai" - weak drinker. If you are drunk it is "sake no ue de" - sake is on top of.

There are all kinds of nihonshu (Japanese word for sake, remember?). Pay attention now :-). First, nihonshu must be high quality and it needs to be dry. Don't drink from those big plastic bottles they sell for 1,200 yen. Ask for "ginjyo". For dry, ask for "karakuchi no" but this isn't really necessary because ginjyo is aways dry. Now this is important - don't drink good nihonshu hot. Ask for "reishu" which means chilled. If you are a new comer to sake, drink some beer first to condition your palate. The sake won't seem strange after some beer. I skip this step.

To my children: Do not drink and drive. Do not drink too much. You don't see your father doing that do you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like green tea. I have always served it realy hot - I shall try it by your method and not steep it in boiling water.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Looks like I posted to Sake instead of green tea - I think just to skip Sake, a good idea.
Mom