Sunday, May 29, 2005

ごがつびょう


Rody

I don't have very much exciting news this week. The picture is of children and their parentls playing on rubber donkey looking toys named "Rody" at Ebisu Gardens (home of the famous beer museum).

The hiragana in the title (gogatsubyoo) means May Sickness. If you remember, we had Golden Week at the beginning of the month - after Golden week nobody wants to come back to work - hence May Sickness. Another term about the month of May I like is さつきばれ (satsukibare) which kind of translates into a clear day in May. This is because the weather starts to become very nice in Japan this time of year and we have had many nice days. The word satsuki also means Azalea which were in bloom earlier in the month.

I have been really bad about my study of Japanese lately - I think I'll go study...

No comments: