Sunday, May 08, 2005

こい の ぶり


こども の 日

I have decided to go a little more bilingual on my blog and start putting some of the Japanese words in ひりがな。 Can you see the characters OK? I would be interested in who can and who can't. To read it you will need unicode on your computer. I went a little further and installed IME so that I can enter and edit it. Kind of neat...

Anyway, this week was Golden Week. We had a number of days off and a lot of the Japanese left town but I got sick and just stayed in my apartment two days instead and then had to do income tax. On Saturday I went into work because I was so far behind there. Some Golden Week. Anyway, the end of Golden Week is called こども の ひ (kodomo no hi) or Children's Day.

For boys especially, it is traditional to fly streamers of a carp design called こい の ぶり (koi no buri) which means rising carp. The streamers are flown at schools, temples, from balconies, etc. The design is meant to show the strength that the carp have in rising and swimming against the current and parents hope that there children will grow strong and have be able to do the same.

May your children, and their children, and ... have the same strength and determination.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

This Children's Day....why do we not have Children's Day in the US?
I love the message to children about being strong.

Random Traveller said...

I think they had someone a little younger than you in mind - like elementary school age - but never mind. Happy Children's Day!

Swan Maiden said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swan Maiden said...

Uncle Frank,

Intriguing... I can see the characters in the title of your post (the orange text), and I can see them in the paragraphs of your blogs; however, I only see seven boxes in the title bar of Internet Explorer (at the top of the screen).

It looks like this:

Lost in Japan: [][][][][][][] - Microsoft Internet Explorer

I had to use box brackets to represent the individual boxes. The ones I had originally tried to paste in my comment were not representing properly. So realize that mine has fourteen characters while yours has seven.

Has my dad sent you the pictures from Wayne's wedding yet? There is a cute one of Wayne and the three of us growling like WWF wrestlers. There is nothing quite like your three Milburn nieces in their nice wedding dresses... posing like Hulk Hogan wanna-bes.

Random Traveller said...

I think that means that your OS cannot display the characters but the application can. Before I did a complete installation on my computer I also noted that some applications could display characters and others couldn't. Anyway, if you want to display Asian characters you can do the following but be warned it does take some disk space if you are using an older computer:

To install East Asian language files on your computer:

* Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
* On the Languages tab, under Supplemental language support, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box.
* Click OK or Apply.
* You will prompted to insert the Windows CD-ROM or point to a network location where the files are located.

After the files are installed, you must restart your computer. Also, if you want to use Word or other Office products and enter Kanji or Kana that requires more installation as described in the help files.