Monday, May 23, 2005

味噌汁

Chef Frank's Guide to Japanese Cooking

This week's topic is misoshiru (Miso Soup) which of course is made from soy bean paste. I love misoshiru and can't believe it is not popular in the United States.

The traditional way is to take dried bonito (fish) flakes called katsuo and steep them in hot water. Then you strain the katsuo out to make a broth called dashi. Then you then put the miso paste, some onion maybe, and some seaweed in to make the base soup. From there you can put clams, tofu, mushrooms, etc. in to make something a little more substantial. There are all kinds of miso but I like the red miso which is a little stronger.

This is a simple recipe as any Japanese person can tell you. So simple that nobody could tell me what the measurements were. I am an engineer, and any decent engineer knows that measurements for recipes are to be followed exactly, the same as any other specification or code requirement. To cook without a recipe is akin to installing wiring without knowledge of the National Electrical Code in my opinion.

But then I found "instant misoshiru". This is pretty good stuff, so I am going to publish the recipe so the rest of you won't have the problems I experienced. I am also giving the cost, converted to US$ so you can see just how economic this stuff is - not to mention delicious, healthful, and easy to make.

Misoshiru with Tofu

Ingredients:
  • (1) 18g packet misoshiru, with dashi - about 10 cents each when bought in package of 12
  • (1) 200g package tofu, divided in 1/4 - about 70 cents per package
  • 300 ml water
Recipe:

As in many good recipes, the first step is critical to the success of the dish.
  1. Bring the water to a very light boil.
  2. Cut the tofu into chunks the size of a big sugar cube.
  3. Put the tofu in a cup and just cover with hot water to heat it.
  4. Put the misoshiru in another cup and pour hot water in it leaving enough room for tofu. Stir briskly.
  5. Pour water off the tofu when warm and spoon into the soup.
Enjoy - makes a serving for one.

V=2870

3 comments:

mscipher said...

I love simple receipes. :) It will be great if you can share more japanese receipes with us on your blog.

Teresa said...

Having tried miso soup, I think this sounds delicious. Please bring some instant back with you.
What would the calorie count be?

Random Traveller said...

misscipher: This is actually the most complicated recipe I have. So, if you are comfortable with it, rest assured that should I publish another it won't be too difficult.

teresa.m: I don't know the calorie count but it couldn't be too high. It is basically bean paste with a little fish broth and tofu. The secretary who told me about instant miso packages said I should be making it fresh though because the little packages have too much salt in her opinion and it is "processed with chemicals". For an American, processed with chemical shouldn't be a problem though. I mean look at Velveeta "cheese"...