Sunday, April 17, 2005

Nikko Shinkyo Bridge - Daiya River


The lacquered carmine bridge crossing the Daiyo River at Nikko was originally built in 1636 for the exclusive use of the Shogun. Even today we peasants aren't allowed to cross it. It was rebuilt in 1907 after a flood. I had never seen it befoe this month because it was covered and undergoing restoration again. This is not the normal angle from which photographs are taken of it but being an engineer I liked the way the stone supports are shown here - shaped like a torii gate. The water is beautiful too.

This week I've been doing "stuff". I had management in to see the project earlier in the week and spent a bit of yesterday catching up. I've been negligent in my study of the Japanese language and so I am rededicating myself. I have set out a 8 week course of study and plan to learn hirigana, katakana, and the first 100 or so kanji characters. I figure if I put it down in electrons and tell people about it then maybe I'll actually do it.

The weather was gorgeous today and I rode my bike to Asakusa which is a fair ride. I went through Akihibara on the way up and then back through Ginza. It was the first day I have seen many people wearing short sleeves outside. Next week there are several of us thinking about going to the World Expo at Nagoya. Take care and try to get out and do something while the weather is nice...

V=2225

2 comments:

Random Traveller said...

You can see another view of this bridge if you click on Yebisu

Random Traveller said...

While it is true that Shodo Shonin is said to have crossed the river here on two serpents, that was back in 766. He founded a temple on the other side of the river named Shihonryu-ji. A statue of the famous priest can be seen in front of the temple and there are trees said to be planted by him in front of it. The temple was renamed Rinno-ji in the 17th century when it became a Tendai-sect temple.

There is a cool dragon at the fountain in front of the statue and I am posting a picture of it behind Yebisu for you.

The bridge itself was originally built in 1636 for the Shogun. I hope this clarifies any confusion around the bridge that might exist in the academic community.