Saturday, April 30, 2005

Festival Food


Life Cycle of the Noodle

It seems like there is a festival somewhere every weekend and every festival has food. Today's pictures are from Hibiya Park just up the road from the apartment. There was some kind of a festival which seemed to involve wood because there were a lot of wood crafts there. There was also a band playing Brazilian tunes. Nice band although I'm not sure of the connection (not that it matters).

Noodles aren't exotic food at festivals but seeing them made fresh is a bit different. Here we can observe the more important phases of the noodle life cycle:
  1. Roll the dough out very flat with a big pole the size of closet rod
  2. Fold the dough up and then cut it with a big knife into long noodles
  3. Cook the noodles in a great big pot and put some tempura on it
  4. Eat the noodles and go back to step 1. because there are more hungry people
I had a bowl of the noodles and thought they were oishii but not outstanding.

1 comment:

Random Traveller said...

Yes, the life cycle of the noodle is very interesting. I am expert in only one part of the cycle - eating - but I believe that many species of noodle start from a flattened piece of dough that is subsequently cut up. I think that the extra large roller and then folding for cutting with a knife are unusual, especially in the domestic environment. But it may have been common in Japan for large portions of noodles to have been made this way in the past.

In the home a rolling pin is more commonly used even here I imagine. I believe it is possible to buy for home use a pasta machine that will cut strips. Personally I buy my noodles for home use at the convenience store and just add hot water.

Regarding the use of bamboo poles, after some consideration I have decided this is not really suitable for home use. So far, I have not seen any Japanese persons out on their balconies or in the park using such an apparatus either.