Sunday, April 24, 2005

International Expo in Nagoya


Yesterday I went to the International Exposition in Nagoya. Nagoya is about a 2 hour ride away on the Shinkansen. The exposition is pretty good sized and countries from all over the world participated. Qatargas has a liason office there and we were invited there as guests to see the "Gas Pavillion" which has a theatrical demonstration of natural gas.

Anyway, we were VIP guests at the "Gas Pavillion". I am not going to try and hide from you the disappointment I experienced when I got home, downloaded my pictures, and realized I did not have a single picture of the Gas Pavillion! Not inside or out. Instead, all I had was these pictures of pretty girls in native dress posing with me. Can you believe it?!

It really was an enjoyable day. The weather was beautiful and the exhibits were interesting. The people at the exhibits were genuinely nice. Most of them spoke English and I think they enjoyed the odd gai-jin going by. It reminds me of all the places in the world there are left to visit. Maybe I should go back - we only got half way around and didn't get to see the South America or European exhibits.

Note to young people (and their parents): Get out and see things and meet people - it is a lot more interesting than watching TV. How can "Road Rules" compare to even the county fair or a trip to the local craft show?

Note to Cody: I put a picture taken in Shimbashi in the Yebisu pictures just for you. See if you can guess which one it is.

1 comment:

Random Traveller said...

I got one request for additional information on the expo and the girls via eamail. Here is the answer:

The expo was represented by all kinds of countries and not just Japan. For example, we visited Thailand, Malaysia, Nepal, Mongolia, Iran,etc. The United States, Canada, Cuba, France, etc. were also there. It is a kind of World Fair and there are cultural, commercial, ecological, etc. exhibits.

Who are the girls? The Malaysian girls were doing a Malay dance, the Iranian girl was describing carpets, and so on. I just asked them if they would take a picture with me and they said yes! It is one of the advantages of being an old geezer. You can ask things like that and not worry about it.