Thursday, February 03, 2005

Sowa Ice Cream Shop


This is the Sowa Ice Cream Shop which is just around the other side of Atagoyama from me. The little factory where they make the ice cream is just next door. Amazing, but I had never noticed it before and I've walked through that area many times. I was talking to one of the secretaries and she said she used to work near Kamiyacho and there was a famous ice cream shop there. So this evening I walked over there and this is it. Good ice cream too. So there is still more to do and taste even after a year. By the way, the word for ice cream is aisukurimu (Romaji spelling). It is pronounced "ice cream" with a hint of an Italian accent.

V=868

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aisukurimu, usukurimu, we arusukurima 4 aisukurima

Random Traveller said...

That is the right hand corner - Outskare to tsukarate desu yo! I work hard and I am weary! Also, I am not very observant.

Teresa said...

I can think of many neon signs, and such, that would attract Frank's attention, and a neon ice cream cone is not one of them. Can you be more specific about why this ice cream shop is famous? Teresa.m

Random Traveller said...

This is exaggeration but not wildly so - anything that more than a handful of people know about is said to be "famous". It seems to be a popular word among English speaking Nihonjin. So if my secretary and her friends went there and the shop has been there a while then it is "famous".

Anonymous said...

Your blog seems to becoming a famous institution of its own. It meets the all criteria – it has been around for a while, and it has had more than a handful of people visit it. “But that ain't why I'm writing ya." I’m on your side partner – I can see how that BIG neon sign with the encrypted message “Delicious Ice Cream – established 1955” and the giant ice cream cone might be hidden and easily overlooked and missed by anything other than a trained an observant eye.
So does Sowa come in 32 flavors and when you order do you have a choice of a cup or a cone?
Cody

Random Traveller said...

You can have it in a cup or a cone but I'm not sure how many flavors. I am going to have to go back and check. As always, thank you for your support.