Sunday, January 16, 2005

You have to eat

This has been a very slow weekend. Saturday the email was down at work so there wasn't too much catching up to do. I was only there about 4 hours. Today I took the whole day off and did nothing except my laundry. And tomorrow is "Chiyoda Founding Day" so I have the day off. Normally I would go in anyway but I have decided to not go in.

I can't really remember the last time I took two plus days off when I didn't have a visitor. It seems almost sinfully decadent. Accordingly, there isn't much to write about so I'll turn back to that old standby - food.

One of the things I get asked about fairly often, especially from Japanese people, is what do I eat when in Japan. And people want to know if I cook. Here is what I typically do:

Breakfast: Eat cereal, fruit, salad, and coffee in the restaurant upstairs in the building. It is free with the rent.

Lunch: Eat at a restaurant in Tsurumi on most weekdays. Sometimes I go to the 7-11 and get a sandwich and bring it back to work. If it is Sunday I will stop wherever I am when I get hungry and eat at a restaurant.

Dinner: Eat at a restaurant about half the time and fix something at the apartment half the time.

I have written about restaurants, so here is what I do when I "cook".
  • sandwich from the 7-11
  • instant noodles (my favorite is "GooTa")
  • salad (you can buy them pre-made at the 7-11)
  • Japanese pickles (oshinko)
  • yogurt (my favorite is Aloe Vera)
  • rice crackers (my favorite is kuro mame sembei - black bean crackers)
  • tempura (buy it at the store and heat it up)
  • boiled eggs (tamago)
  • soy bean fritos
  • bananas (the best fruit ever)
Enjoy whatever you are eating today!

2 comments:

Swan Maiden said...

Hi Uncle Frank,

Read your email, and so I posted another comment since I know that I hadn't in a while. I made it very difficult for people to post comments on my blog. Mostly because the majority of people who would post comments on my site were strangers, and I tend to nip stuff like that in the bud. Though I should think about making a guest book... maybe later. You did laundry on your vacation day? Sounds like... fun. By the way, the two hour series premier of Battlestar Galactica was incredible!

Erica

Random Traveller said...

I've been lucky. All the strangers who have posted things on my blog so far have been nice...