Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stalking the Wild Elk

This isn't the best picture I ever took of elk (that would probably be this one) but there is a story here so stay with me.  I was driving down Hwy 1A just past Cascade Mountain when I saw elk well off the road.  I have seen elk in the area a number of times and always look for them when I go by.  This time I decided to turn around and stalk them to get a picture.

It was a mile and a half to two miles from where I was able to safely park to where the elk were.  I carried my camera, telephoto lens, and a large tripod through the woods and meadows and found them not too far from where I had first seen them from the car.  The wind was in my face so they couldn't smell me and I used trees and a gully to avoid being seen.  I got to within 200 meters of them and set up my camera to take this shot.

One saw me not too long after I took this and perked towards me, then another.  It didn't seem to bother them too much.  I don't think they could figure out what I was because my outline would have been broken up by trees and I was still.  I squatted down and snuck off so as to not disturb them further.  I was pleased with my rusty woodsman skills.

Sunday was a good day for spotting wildlife.  I saw coyotes, elk, ground squirrels, tree squirrels, bighorn sheep, a bald eagle, an osprey, mule deer, ....  Notice that the cow elk here don't appear to have calved.  I didn't see lambs with the sheep either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Elks. They are strong of limb, fleet of foot, and quick and keen of perception.
Stumonkey

Random Traveller said...

Yes, the elk is indeed a majestic animal. As you may know, the latin name for elk is Cervus canadensis and it is one of the largest members of the deer family. Native people gave it the name wapiti. In addition to strength, fleetness, and perception the males of the species participate in autumn mating behavior called the rut that include posturing, antler wrestling, and the use of a bugling call to establish dominance over other males and to attract females. It is indeed a majestic animal.