Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bear Jam

First, I must admit to photo manipulation for this grizzly bear.  He was wearing both a radio collar and a green ear tag.  I have done a quick and sloppy job of removing the ear tag.  The radio collar is leaving a ruffle around his neck but I haven't retouched it.  He was climbing up on the railroad track just off Hwy 1 and across the border into British Columbia.  I've cropped out the track just under his chin.  He isn't as close as he might appear.  I'm using my longest lens, at 400mm with a 1.4 tele-extender on it and I've cropped way in.  It is hand held which is why it isn't so sharp.

This guy was causing a bear jam.  When wildlife is spotted, people stop on the road (hopefully off the road) and get out to see it.  He was a couple of hundred meters away and there were at least 20 cars and a tour bus stopped to see him.  Finally a Parks Canada ranger came by and shooed us away.

The reason he is on the railroad tracks is because grain frequently spills there and they eat it early in the spring when there isn't much else.  It was snowing lightly at the time and you may be able to see a flake or two.  Anyway, I really wanted to photograph a grizzly and here he is.  I'll try not to participate in the bear jams in future.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yay! You got to use your bear shootin' lens!

Random Traveller said...

Oh yeah, about time I focused on a bear with that lens.