Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ring lit Teddy Bear

Over the weekend I was squandering my time and got to looking at different kinds of lighting used in photography. The ring light is a fairly esoteric light that completely surrounds the lens and gives a flat, but at the same time somewhat soft light - especially to close items. It is used mainly for lighting super models and insects from what I can tell. Oh yes, they are expensive.

So I made my own ring light out of styrofoam, reflective paper, duck tape, and poster board. I didn't have a super model at hand but pressed Megan's old teddy into service. It gives really nice light as you can see, but it can also highlight any imperfections. That is why you don't see a picture of me posted here.

Teddy is lit from two directions. Daylight is coming in through the window to camera right. The ring light of course is coming straight from the camera. If you click on the photograph and look in the bear's eyes you will see the window in his left eye and the ring light in both. OK, I am ready for super models now. Or bugs. More likely, bugs.

No comments: