Monday, February 18, 2008

Masks

I don't know what to write about this week. It has been a long week at work and nothing much to write about that seems really interesting. We went to a nice restaurant the other evening though and on the way back I saw these masks in the display window of a store that rents costumes.

I think I have written about masks a number of times now. Do a search in the little dialog box to the left and you will see. There were the masks in the old town of Kawagoe near Tokyo, David wearing a Hyotoko mask I got for Stuart, and the PNG masks I photographed in Port Moresby. And now these. It is interesting that so many cultures use masks isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are strikingly similar to Mardi Gras masks. Is Fat Tuesday celebreated there?
-Stu

Random Traveller said...

It really isn't celebrated like some places. You have to remember that it is a country founded by British convicts. That means a lot of Irish plus the Scots and Welsh. So they are big on St. Paddys Day and Robert Burns plus the traditional English ones.