Saturday, February 23, 2008

Brisbane River Boats


Brisbane is shaped by the river both figuratively and literally and boats have long been a major part of the city. This is Mirimar cruising the Brisbane River at night. The picture was taken from South Bank and I panned the camera to keep the boat sharp, but of course the background is blurred.

I think I have photographed just about all the passenger boats and ferries on the river now and have posted them in an album. I can recognize and name many of them on sight and all have distinguishing characteristics. For example, there are two main classes of City Cats - one class is newer than the other and is a little larger and a bit less angular. If you look carefully at the pictures you should be able to pick them out. Another interesting thing about the City Cats is that they are all given local aboriginal place names.

The ferries are very popular with tourists and a fair number of locals use them as well. I could take the ferry to work and it would shave a few minutes off my commute but of course it isn't that much further for me and I like the walk. Some of the other boats can be rented for parties and many have regularly scheduled cruises serving meals. We need to do that sometime.

V=10,620

No comments: