Sunday, November 04, 2007

Torresian Crow

The crow is another common bird in Brisbane. I like the white eye on this one. Crows are smart birds and learn how to live with people easily.


The latin name for a crow or raven is corvus. I know this because of my books on birds but also because there is a small Southern constellation called corvus - I think that is where I first learned that corvus means crow. One of the things I need to do while I am here is get out in the middle of nowhere and look up at the stars.


This is one of the first pictures I took with my "new" Nikon AF 300mm f/4 lens that I bought used. This lens has a couple of features that are well demonstrated in this photo. First, it is a very sharp lens. Click on the picture to enlarge it and examine it a little closer. I reduced the size from the original to load faster but it is still nice and sharp. Second, look at the background - it is soft and out of focus in a very pleasant way. The technical term for this is "bokeh" and this lens has good bokeh. My lens is about 10 years old and still looks brand new. It cost about a 1/3 of what the latest version would cost too. Be thrifty...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your pictures of birds. Do families in Australia have pets like we do here in Houston?

I bet you miss your favorite photographic subject!

Love,
Lou (& Meg)