Saturday, August 12, 2006

Qahwah (Arabic Coffee)

Today for entertainment I went to the Souq and was looking around. I had seen the shops selling Arabic coffee before but couldn't quite figure it out. I knew it was boiled and to me it tastes more like an herbal tea than coffee. It is not like Turkish coffee.

They sell various beans and also spices in the same shop. The main spice is cardamon but they may also put saffron and even ginger or other spices in it. The shop will grind the beans (very fine) or you can grind yourself - you can even buy unroasted beans and roast them yourself. You can make your own blend in the shop or do what I did and buy vacuum packed pre-roasted, blended, and ground.

Now I am no expert at this by any means but I have made it twice now. The gentleman at the store did not speak real good English but he was patient and did his best to explain it. Basically it goes like this:
  1. Select your coffee: I bought a pre-blended style that seems typical of the Gulf area. They make different blends in different parts of the Arab world.
  2. Measure water into long handled coffee pot: I bought a modern Egyptian pot. They also had Indian ones and some are shaped more like a tea pot. A serving is about the size of an espresso cup and that is what I used here. I'll have to get some cups.
  3. Add coffee: According to the gentleman at the shop, about one teaspoon per cup or more if you want. I think one teaspoon is enough.
  4. Put the pot on the burner on high heat and brew: Stir it once before it boils. The man said to boil it - the longer the better - except if you like it better not boiled so long. I liked it best when I just boiled it and took it right off.
  5. Serve immediately: You can put sugar in it - or not. Traditionally it doesn't have sugar but I think I like it better that way. Note the green color of mine. Drinking a few grounds is expected and it is not filtered. It tastes OK but I think it is one of those things you have to develop a taste for. The aroma is very nice but not like coffee - more spicy. Mine was pretty close to what he served in the shop.

OK, I hope that explains it. I did a search on the internet and you can find out lots more about it including other twists on making it.

They served oden in the camp cafeteria today. Oden is a Japanese stew / soup like concoction that is typically served when it is cold outside. It isn't exactly cold right now outside but it is near freezing indoors. People really like air conditioning here. Enjoy your coffee...

V=7711

No comments: