Saturday, July 08, 2006

Sailing



Yesterday I went sailing here in Doha with some guys from work. The boat belongs to one of them and is a 35 footer. It is a very nice boat, it was a nice day, and we went swimming out at "Banana Island". The picture shows the boat and I with the Sheraton hotel in background.

It got me to thinking about the last time I helped sail a larger boat. I think it was about 30 years ago. An old friend had moved to the beach and had a "Venture" with a small cabin - nothing like this one. He let me sail it by myself down the canal he lived on and out to Galveston Bay. Sailboating is something I think I could get into. About 7 or 8 years ago I also sailed on a commercial catamaran in Galveston Bay but I didn't really have to do anything.

While at Banana Island, I put on a mask and fins and goofed around a little. The last time I had seriously snorkeled was about 20 years in Hawaii. At that time I was marathon fit and also had been swimming twice a week to get ready for triathalons. I was so fit I was swimming as strong as the crew of the boat I was on and easily keeping up with them on dives to the coral.

Actually, I have started swimming again within the last two weeks. When I am at the camp I run about a mile, swim about 300 to 500 meters, and lift weights about twice a week. When I was in my 30s I dispaired that I could not run as fast as when I was 18. Now I wish I could do what I could when I was in my 30s. At least I have kept moving. Anyway, yesterday I was still the strongest swimmer on the boat. It is just that yesterday the boat didn't have a crew in its 20s.

Two of the guys on the boat were avid sailors so it was good to listen to them and learn a little about sailing. Keep moving :-)

No comments: