Saturday, July 08, 2006

Getting a Haircut

I believe I have written about getting a haircut in Japan. My method of communication was to hold my hair up with one hand and use the fingers of my other hand in the shape of scissors to show the length. After they finish with you they vacuum your head to get the loose hair out.

Yesterday I got a haircut here in the camp. They have a barbershop with two seats and there are two Indians cutting hair. You can get a haircut, shave, hair dye, "side cut", head massage, and "steam treatment". I decided to get a haircut and a shave. The cost of a haircut is 10 riyals or $2.75 roughly. The cost of a shave is 5 riyals.

I thought the haircut was pretty good and he used scissors for the entire cut. For the shave he used a disposable straight razor. They lathered me up really good and shaved once, then repeated. It was a pretty close shave as they say. For sure I'll be getting my hair cut in the camp from now on but I'll probably skip the shave. I haven't seen shaves available like that in a lot of years though and not since I was an adult. So I had to try it.

After they finish, they massage your scalp really well and slap some astringent on your face that stings like crazy. Then they massage your face. You can't get treatment like that in the States for $4.10. So I tipped him another 5 riyals.

No comments: