Friday, June 03, 2011

Old Man and a Yellow Boat


This old guy was resting on his boat in the park next to the ferry terminal where I like to take my walks.  I sat down and took a picture of him and waited for a good shot of the ferry.  After a while he walked up to where I was sitting, sat down, and spoke.

Him:  Hi
Me:  Hello, how are you doing?
Him:  OK.  I'm tired.
Me:  Have you been working on the boat?
Him:  Yeah.  Somebody stole the mast.  It was wooden and wasn't attached very well.  He probably did me a favor.  I've got a metal one now.

Silence.

Him:  The snow is low down on the mountains for June.
Me:  Yes, it has been a cool spring.

That was the end of our conversation.  After a minute he got up and walked away.  I wish I would have asked him where he was going to sail the boat when he was finished.  He didn't seem to be in that great of health.

By the way, this is my 1000th blog post.  I posted my first on February 24th, 2004.

No comments: