Saturday, December 18, 2010

Moose at Black Prince Lake

We were on snow shoes again today, this time on the trail to the Black Prince Cirque.  This cow moose was near the trail at the small lake at the end of the trail.  She was pawing and snooting in the snow for food and not particularly concerned about people.  Last winter I saw one while on cross country skis but couldn't get a photo.  This one was happy enough to pose.
It was pretty cold today, around -6 F, -21 C.  When it gets this cold it starts to get hard for me to stay comfortable.  Fortunately there was no wind today.

I've been taking photographs with a new camera, basically a hopped up point and shoot, the Canon S95.  It has a larger sensor, will shoot in manual, has a fast lens, shoots in raw, etc. but it isn't a replacement for a good DSLR in my book.  It is a LOT easier to carry though.  The color balance on this shot was awful and I had to spend a fair amount of time in Photoshop fixing it.  And the battery didn't hold up too long in the cold.

I also took the picture of the coyote and the Santas with the little Canon S95

No comments: