Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pika

I now believe this to be Ochotona princeps, aka the Little Chief Hare. If you know anything about pikas, let me know.  This is the first one I've ever seen, identified, and photographed.  They are cute little critters about the size of a guinea pig, but related to rabbits, and are not rodents.  They live in the alpine and can't tolerate heat - this one was at something over 2200 meters near Grizzly Col.  The pika is a herbivore and cuts and stores grass for the winter.  This little guy was somewhat curious about me but wouldn't stray too far from his home and ducked back in the rocks if I moved too fast or got too close.

Although I love to see the bears and big game animals, finding these little ones is satisfying too.  Because of their habits, some of them are much more difficut to photograph.  I am getting to where I don't even pick up my camera at times anymore with deer and sheep.  We saw a couple dozen ewes with lambs yesterday.  The lambs are half grown.

No comments: