Friday, February 05, 2010

Nikon N75 35mm Film Camera

I bought another used camera the other day off of eBay. This was one of the more expensive ones I've bought - paid $28 Canadian for it. I think I almost have this out of my system now although I do covet the 50mm and 135mm Nikkors for my Bronica S2. Usually what I do is run a couple of rolls of film through them and set them on my shelf.

It's not that they don't take good pictures, many of them are very capable. But it does cost a fair amount of money to buy the film and get it processed and scanned. And unless you pay even more, the scans aren't that great (why do you have to pay that much more for a decent scan?). And you have to take them to be processed and wait to get them back. That is the real reason I don't use them much - I can hardly stand that waiting any more.

The reason I bought this particular camera is that it is one of the last Nikon amateur cameras made and has almost all of the modern features. In fact, it works great with all my new lenses. It supports VR (vibration reduction), it autofocuses with both the screw type and newer lenses with motor in lens. Metering seems great (take this shot at dusk with a bright sky for example). It doesn't support the newest CLS flash metering and features but that is about all it is missing.

Nonetheless, it now sits on the shelf. I still like to fool with film, but 99% of the shots I take are, and will continue to be, with digital.

No comments: