Saturday, July 25, 2009

Waiting for the Train

One of the things I like about Calgary, and was nice about Brisbane too, is the public transport. It isn't quite London, but there is a train system called the C-Line and the bus system seems good. The C-Line has a stop about 3 blocks from our apartment. The portion in the downtown section including where we live is free!

Of course nothing is that far a walk in the downtown area. Another nice thing about downtown is the +15. The +15 is a enclosed walkway system that goes through buildings and crosses the streets at roughly 15 feet above the road surface. I'm about 3 blocks from that too so I don't have to walk too far outside when it is cold or wet when on my way to the office. The office is about 20 minutes if I take the +15 and 15 minutes if I walk along the sidewalk.

The picture is a young woman waiting for the C-Line downtown. It is part of a series of 4 that I took for my One Photo a Week blog that you might find interesting. Just after this shot the train stopped and she got on and left the station.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only you could do the +15 at 15 feet above the ground in 15 minutes. And with such a fine looking train station I barely noticed the passenger in waiting. -StuMonkey

Random Traveller said...

I think I could do the +15 in 15 minutes if I was walking really fast. There are a fair number of people sauntering along and I am not the type to shove them aside so that might slow me down. Mostly it is just less direct to take the +15 though. It looks like a fine station from this shot but actually it is mostly an exposed stop with a windbreak and roof. The passenger in waiting is standing very politely to the side and perfectly aligned with the train which does make her less conspicuous.