Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Port Douglas Lighthouse

This week I am in tropical Queensland, Australia. Port Douglas is a beautiful tourist town with the Great Barrier Reef just a short boat trip away. Summer is just beginning and the stingers haven't made their way to the beaches yet.

The bad news: My luggage did not come out with the rest of the luggage. Apparently it stayed on the airplane and eventually made it's way to Narita. The next day it was back, but not in time for me to get my mask, snorkel, and cheapo underwater camera for the trip to the reef. I had to buy a swimming suit, shirt, and Crocs so I had something to wear.

The good news is that they had prescription masks on the boat, including one that fit me pretty good. I went ahead and rented a tank for the first time in a long time but to be honest it just reminded me that I enjoy snorkeling and free diving just as much anyway, especially when the reef is all at 10 meters or less. I am pretty sure I spotted Nemo. No underwater pictures, but it was a nice day out.

No comments: