Saturday, December 08, 2007

Carpet Python (Morelia spilota)

This python was basking in the sun just next to the walkway through the park at the bottom of the cliffs on Kangaroo Point. I am no snake expert but believe it to be a carpet python. If you are good at snake identification, post me a note below.

It is easy to overestimate the size of a large snake but this one was on the order of 3 meters (10 feet). The head shot at left was taken from a distance of about two feet. He was very still while I photographed him except when I accidently moved the post beside him and he raised his head and tasted the air around him with his tongue.

Pythons are not poisonous although they can be agressive feeders I understand. They are helpful by ridding us of mice, rats, and other such pests. There are lots of stories around here of pythons getting into houses - especially the old Queenslander style. We haven't spotted any in the apartment yet :-)

No comments: