Saturday, August 04, 2007

Masks

This week I am writing about Papua New Guinea (PNG) crafts. I was there last week and visited an interesting native craft sales outlet. To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about them yet. Here is a web site if you want to do a little research: janesoceana. Keep following the links or do your own search - I suggest adding Sepik River to the search since many of the best carvings seem to come from there.

Crocodiles are big on these masks - note the tongues of the two upper ones. Sometimes you see crocodiles substituted for other body parts on statues. Obviously the masks and statues have spiritual and magical powers for the PNG people.

In addition to what I have posted here, it is also possible to buy small gold items made locally. Goldsmithing is a relatively new skill however since gold mining was introduced in the 20th century.

Prices on these things are pretty reasonable. I will be taking orders for Christmas soon...

No comments: