Friday, December 15, 2006

Safety at Work

I had decided some time ago not to write about work, but to concentrate on interesting things outside of it. But this week, I haven't done much except work. So here is a picture of me at the site about to give a safety speech to the workers. I am the guy in the orange Nomex pumpkin outfit. The guys in yellow are the contractor management and the guys in blue are workers or charge hands who supervise workers. Workers wear yellow hats and supervisors wear white hats. Safety officers wear green hats. Everything is color coded.

Anyway, this safety talk was about the need to stop work if you see something unsafe. A lot of workers are fearful to do this - it is not in their culture to question the boss. And it is not in the nature of some bosses to be questioned. Anyway, I gave this talk about 10 times to around 5,000 people. Each time it was translated into at least one and sometimes two other languages. It is quite a challenge to communicate here sometimes. There are 6 or so major languages spoken. We made up 21,000 cards to hand out and had 100 full size banners posted around the site.

Oh yes - I finally made it to the Asian Games last night. I went to see the squash tournament championship. Both the mens and the womens champion were Malaysians. My friend Victor showed me a good Indian restaurant too. So that was a successful evening. BE SAFE AND STOP WORK IF YOU SEE AN UNSAFE CONDITION...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should swap head gear with the safety guy. That way, with an orange jump suit and a green hard hat you would look astonishingly pumpkinish.
StuMonkey