Friday, November 18, 2005

More on Food

Here is an update on unusual things I was able to eat last week:

  1. Fugu - Poisonous Blow Fish: The guy I was traveling with to Fukuoka insisted we eat fugu since it is a delicacy in his home town. We had it as sashimi and then in a delicate soup and finally fried as tempura. Quite good - I had never had a full course fugu meal like this.
  2. Ebi - Still Wriggling Shrimp: In Korea we had a live shrimp that was quickly peeled, deheaded, and handed to you while it was still wriggling. It's OK but they are better boiled in Zatarain's. The shrimp were a local, rare delicacy that were said to cost $10 each.
  3. Geso - Still Wriggling Octopus Legs: We had these in Korea also. I had heard about them in a book on Japan but the Japanese guy I was with knew nothing about them. They are cut off still wriggling and dipped in a sauce. If you are lucky, they will try to stick to the top of your mouth with one of their suction cups. Really. They taste like any other raw octopus to me except for the suction.
The Koreans also encourage you to drink way too much alcohol too. I should have taken pictures.

No comments: